Hohenschwangau Castle, Fussen Germany. The existence of the Hohenschwangau castle was documented in the 12th century. Until 1535 it remained in the possession of the Knights of Schwangau. Successive wars over the centuries left the castle in ruins. These were bought in 1832 by Crown Prince Maximilian who reconstructed the castle according to the original plans. It subsequently became a residence of the royal family and, following the death of King Maximilian, the home of King Ludwig II and his mother.